$5,000 with a matching amount from the applicant’s institution to fund a leadership education opportunity.
Grant Mission Statement
To assist cardiothoracic and vascular anesthesiologists early in their careers develop into future leaders by granting funding to further their leadership development through course work and leadership specific studies.
Eligibility & Application Format
- Member, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists.
- Practices in the field of cardiothoracic or vascular anesthesia.
- M.D. degree.
- Applicants must be within 10 years of graduation from residency/fellowship.
- Previous Kaplan Leadership Grant recipients are not eligible.
- Leadership training should be completed within two years after the award of the grant.
- Title Page.
- Type of grant category.
- Title for leadership project (see description below).
- Name of applicant, academic degrees, faculty rank.
- Sponsoring institution.
- Name, address, and telephone number of responsible department chief.
- Name, address, and telephone number of responsible financial officer of the sponsoring institution.
- Curriculum Vitae of the applicant (limit 10 pages, NIH Biosketch format preferred).
- Letter from the department Chair indicating the following:
- Assessment of the applicant’s leadership and other professional accomplishments.
- A statement indicating departmental support for matching funds.
- A statement indicating the department will provide the time necessary to complete the leadership training.
- The availability of suitable facilities and departmental support for applicant to achieve goal.
- The agreement to return all unused funds if the applicant fails to complete his/her leadership training in the following 24 months.
- Letters of support from two additional faculty that know the applicant well and can provide support for the leadership accomplishments and potential of the applicant.
- The budget should outline all proposed expenditures for the leadership project and indicate the amount and breakdown for specific items requested from the grant and the amount and breakdown for specific items provided by the institution as matching funds.
- The budget may include support for educational leadership courses, travel, lodging, and other expenses related to the leadership activities. Other costs must be itemized and justified.
- No part of the grant may be used for salary support of the applicant.
Pages should be double spaced, in 12 pt font. Sections 1-4 must not exceed 8 total pages.
Lengths listed below do not include references.
The grant supplies the applicant with funding to attend an educational course. Funding is not intended to help fund a leadership project. For instance, the recipient receives funding to attend the ASA program in practice management not to create a clinical service at their institution. The clinical service would be a by-product of the leadership skills obtained – not the object of the grant. The “Leadership education opportunity” section of the application is where the applicant should focus their efforts.
- Provide a concise summary of the applicant’s educational and leadership activities.
- Future goals
- Provide one, five, and ten year educational and leadership goals.
- Leadership education opportunity
- Indicate the specific education opportunity the applicant wants to participate in (Examples are listed in the appendix below). The appendix is provided to help guide the applicant toward suitable programs but is not meant to be all-inclusive. The applicant is encouraged to find or create a program that best matches their needs.
- Provide a full description of the education opportunity chosen including location, sponsoring institution, length of the course, content of the course, timing of the course and either a brochure or website for the course.
- Explain how this education opportunity assists the applicant in becoming a better leader and specifically helps them accomplish their one, five, and ten year leadership goals.
- Leadership Project
- Provide a description of a leadership position the applicant currently holds or a leadership project the applicant is developing and how this education grant will assist the applicant. Provide 12-24 month goals to be accomplished if the applicant is awarded the grant.
At twelve and twenty-four months from the grant inception date a report on the success of achieving the goals above will be due to Kaplan Leadership Award Committee Chair.
Grant Submission Information
The application must be submitted in PDF format no later than 4:00 pm eastern time on March 1, 2016.
The awards will be announced at the SCA Annual Meeting. The grant period of 24 consecutive months can begin on any date from July 1 to Dec 31 of the year in which it is granted.
Grants are funded by the SCA Foundation and administered through the SCA.
Questions about the grant and grant applications should be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or via telephone at 847-375-6362.
Appendix (Examples of Possible Programs)
- American College of Physician Executives
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health Master in Health Care Management
- University of Tennessee Physician Executive MBA
- Intermountain Healthcare Advanced Training Course
- Physician Leadership College at University of St Thomas
- Executive Education programs at Harvard Business School